Monday, August 21, 2006

Majuro and Kolonia

MAJURO, MARSHALL ISLANDS - AUG 11-17
View from the balcony at the back of my hotel room in Majuro.I spent August 11-17 in Majuro, the Capital of the Marshall Islands. The island has a land area of around 3.75 sq miles and is about two road lengths wide in most spots and around 25 miles long. There is only one road on the island and there is not much to do here besides diving. The people here don't have much to do and spend their time playing in the streets or walking around. Supplies are limited and everything is imported. They actualy had a movie theater showing two movies which was located next to the grocery store and only ATM on the island.

KOLONIA, PHONPEI - AUG 17-19
After leaving Majuro, I flew to Kolonia, Phonpei in the Federated States of Micronesia. This island had a few tropical rainforest areas and was not as flat. There was a lot more to do in Kolonia. I had the opportunity to have fresh coconut milk (a hole wad cut into the coconut and a straw was inserted) and some tuna sahsimi for dinner on the first night. The people here chew betel nut wrapped in a leaf and drink Kava (known as sakau in Pohnpei). I tried Sakau which has an aftertaste like gritty dirt. Most people were drinking big bottles of it, but one glass was enough for me. I didn't really notice any effects except my tongue was a little numb for about 20 minutes. After leaving Kolonia, I flew to Guam and then back to Manila. It feels good to be back in civilization again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Newby... drinkin the Sakau... chillin on the islands. Good to see that you're experiencing the local culture.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home