Sunday, October 29, 2006

Second Trip to Majuro

MAJURO, MARSHALL ISLANDS - OCT 24-28

This was my second visit to Majuro, however the first time we went from Manila directly to Guam and then to Majuro. This time we took Continental Micronesia's "Island Hopper" flight which is very tiring. If it weren't for the business class seat, I don't think I would ever go there again. The flight left Manila at 11:00 PM Tuesday evening and we arrived in Majuro at 5:30 PM Wednesday evening (18.5 hours later). After leaving Manila we went to Guam, Chuuk, Phonpei, Kosrae, Kwajalein and finally Majuro. Yap, Chuuk, Phonpei and Kosrae are all part of the Federated States of Micronesia and Majuro is the Capital of the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI). But wait there's more...

The trip back was just as tiring except a really weird guy was sitting next to me for half the trip. He was taking pictures of the flight attendant (thinking she didn't notice) when she was standing in the aisle and he just creeped me out. I also met a guy working with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) who informed me last time he were there (when I was in August) the water was making people sick with typhoid. There is not much to do in Majuro and the people have that 1000 yard stare and glazed look in their eyes.

The main form of excitement there consists of people to going to the airport to watch the plane land and takeoff from the immensely small Majuro International Airport. Below is a picture of Majuro from the air.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home